Saturday, September 5, 2009

My French Assignments

This morning at 10h20 (4:20am on the East Coast), I had an interview with my French professor in order to receive my personalized French language assignments for the next 6 weeks. The questions went as follows: "What do you study?" "What do you like to do?" "What do you hope to get out of your time in Paris this semester?" In between my many "uhhhhh"s and enormous pauses, Mr. Bondurant was able to decipher a few things.

#1. I study Afro-American studies and poetry, which I like. Especially rap music.
#2. I like to cook.
#3. I like to eat.
#4. I like to shop for groceries.
#5. I don't speak French pretty much at all.

Alors, my assignments are as follows:

#1. Buy the French cooking magazine Saveurs for September and October and make two recipes from each magazine at my house. Then talk about what was difficult, what was easy, what I learned. Learn about what fruits and vegetables are seasonal and how they are prepared. Talk about my experiences in markets.
#2. Go online and research 3 French hip-hop artists. Learn things about them, listen to their music, and be able to discuss their lyrical messages in three songs by each artist.
#3. Buy a poetry book by the first President of Senegal, Leopold Senghor, choose 2 poems and discuss their meanings.

C'est bon!

Went to Montmartre yesterday and walked around solo after our hilarious walking tour. Got a coffee, some bottles of wine and some ONE EURO EARRINGS. My ultimate goal in life. Looking at my friend Kas's blog about her study abroad experience in Ghana right now, I'm seeing more and more how unbelievably expensive it is here. Can't wait to move in with my family and start cooking and saving myself some coin. Montmartre was cheaper than most of the city though, and it was truly wonderful to see all of the places from the movie Amelie, including Cafe de 2 Moulins, where she worked as a waitress.

Got sangria with my friend from Lyceum Boyce who is here doing a homestay program as well, but in the south of France. Hadn't seen him since winter of freshman year and he's grown up a lot! He doesn't speak much French either, so I didn't feel like an idiot when the couple next to us leaned over to say something to me and I stared at them blankly then apologized awkwardly and kept drinking my sangria. It's delicious sangria, for the record.

Wish it weren't so cold. I need to buy another jacket. A wool one. Ugh.

A bientot!

1 comment:

  1. oh man, i love your blog. im living vicariously through you :)

    ReplyDelete