Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Le Premier Jour Mavais dans Paris!

Cheers to my first bad day in Paris. Not all bad, but I realize more and more that I understand the least French out of all of my fellow NC Consortium participants. Went on a walking tour in Marais (4eme), led by Dr. Costello en francais. Did not understand a word, so instead took some photos and generally lingered around, catching "septieme siecle" and "Louis XIV" and that was about all over 2 hours of tour.

Then the four ENORMOUS pages of homework assigned by dear Monsiour Bondurant made no sense to me either. Despite my claim that I can read some French. I can't really. Our placement test is tomorrow. At least I'll be in the easiest of all of the classes. It rained again, my head ached, I got a bit depressed about home, mainly trying to stay in touch with some people I miss a lot who I know are very busy and important but whom I would very much like to hear back from.

After the walking tour, though, some of the girls and I went out to eat at this not-very-good cafe on Blvd St-Germain but sat outside and generally had a great time just chatting. After that, I watched Top Chef and started the homework...for about 3 hours...and right as I was about to take a shower so I could cry a bit out of desperation in private, my dear poetry class friend Caroline texted my shitty French phone to go get wine in my neighborhood!

SO decided to give up on the p.c. vs. imparfait debate since none of it made any sense whatsoever and am going to walk a few blocks to meet her at Chez Georges off of Rue St-Sulpice for some cheap wine and to meet new friends.

I've only been washing my hair with soap (since shampoo is mad expensive) and it makes it look totally insane, but there's not much else I can do about that.

Will have more weird French habit news tomorrow. I've been collecting some good ones.

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment