Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ile-de-France to Brussels?

Just sent my first ever CouchSurfing request to this 21 year old beer loving cook dude in Brussels, Belgium. I found his profile, was like "PARFAIT!" (which, appropriately, is French for perfect. Since parfaits are one of the most perfect foods.) and sent a request, including info including that I'm from the US, love to cook, also like beer, and really want to visit Brussels and be shown the city by a local. And, truly, to make some new Euro friends. Though, after reading a bit of "Culture Shock!" (that my former Parisienne, now CHienne friend Jenn gave me before I left), I learned that the French take a very long time to develop friendships with anyone, not just American girls who speak no French.

Today was a good day, however. I skipped my 2 hour French class to sleep since M. Bondurant keeps rescheduling film viewings for 9am, which requires one to get up by 8am at the latest. Movies first thing in the morning are not helpful for a productive day. By the end of Phonetics lab at 13h30 (1:30) I was passing out in every direction and so, giving my homework to Kayla & Christy, I took the metro home. Then I read, watched some "Mad Men," and passed out until 18h00 (6:00). Got up, made tomato sauce with Camembert, tomato coulis, garlic, pepper, and onions and boiled some spaghetti. Will have food until Sunday b/c of my bulk-cooking skills. I really want to marinate my chicken soon but it's frozen and should be fine for a while, i.e. after my pasta (and my risotto!) runs out. But I was thinking Hoegaarden, OJ, olive oil, herbes de provence, gray pepper (I know right - what exactly is that?!), and cayenne? Sounds good. A bit of citrus never hurt anyone.
After dinner (and three glasses of vin blanc) I discussed the exchange rate with my French mom. In French! It's amazing how much better I feel about opening my mouth after some vin. I suppose that's in any language though. Then they made pizzas and my host dad came home from 8 hours of meetings today (merde!) and came in to say hello and show me his collection of French comic books (including Tintin, Mom!). The collection is VAST and he said they might help me learn some familiar French phrases. He's so nice.

Mathieu just asked me to join him outside for some hookah, so I suppose I will. Bon mercredi!

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment