Tuesday, September 1, 2009

More Bizarre French Things


Le Tour Eiffel lit up a 22h; moi avec le Tour Eiffel (it's very tall!); le 5eme arrondisement (le Quartier Latin, where the Foyer is); some crevettes (shrimp) sauteed in delicious Asian sauce with serrano peppers and some weird styrofoam-textured bread substitutes







Some more French things:

#1 French people wear "slippers" indoors. Slippers are just shoes that one has for the home and does not wear outside. The French do not go barefoot. Assez tacky or something.

#2 The toilet paper is all pink.

Going to catch the last hour of "happy hour" at the bars, which happens after dinner (around 20h or 8 o'clock). Ate baguette and a tomato on the terrace while reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being. It's quite wonderful and accessible, which I appreciate in a book of such a title. Tomorrow we have more French class and are supposed to talk about what we want to ask our host families about come Sunday.

For housing interviews, I told the sweet but hilariously long-winded Dr. Costello that I want someone who cooks copiously and maybe has pets. He said he would place me with someone lively since I seem quite so myself. Haha. Maybe he's right. I hope I'm lively.

Anyway, Abby's finishing her weird Desperado beer that tastes like fruit braised in Corona and off we go!

A bientot!


No comments:

Post a Comment