Friday, September 18, 2009

3 Weeks in France

Things realized thus far:

#1. I miss peanut butter. And sushi. And spicy food. Though I'm going to make stuffed peppers soon I think. But the lesson is: don't ever take the foods you love for granted because in France they just don't understand peanut butter. And the sushi is very expensive and not delicious.

#2. Don't drink wine on a stomach only filled with bread.

#3. I have many a time gotten frustrated with people's inability to understand one another. To communicate, to exchange basic ideas with one another. To say difficult things. I have said that there are no words to describe something. I have said that others seem like they're even speaking a different language sometimes, and have subsequently resigned myself to a miscommunication. Let me just say that you've never experienced miscommunication until everyone around you is speaking in a language that you only know from textbooks and CD recordings. There is nary a miscommunication for me here because I can't even get to the communication part. So, dear readers, know that there is always a word (I'm talking English, though there may be one in French that I do not know) for what you're trying to say. And you're never speaking a different language. You just have to be willing to compromise a bit with your understanding of things. This goes for all involved parties. The listening is important. I have never listened as much as I have to hear. I have to be very very patient.

#4. I miss driving. I'll probably be very out of practice when I return. But I'll have the radio, which I also miss. Namely WKNC (N.C. State's radio), which will, as far as I'm concerned, top WXYC any damn day. Unless of course, one of my dear friends is playing music of their choice. Like Julian's whale sounds at 4am.

#5. Speaking of Julian, I miss my roommates. I even miss how filthy they are. And I miss all the girls. And the boys I don't live with, obviously.

#6. I love riding the metro.

#7. When I'm walking around, sometimes I forget where I am and I look up and am subsequently very startled. I think that the French tradition of drinking while walking on the street will be a hard one to let go of as well. Luckily I'll be 21 in less than a year!!!!

#8. I really like it here. And I'm really starting to like my own company in a way that I haven't been able to before. It's very comforting to feel like all the company you need is with you all of the time. Not that I don't drive myself crazy. But it's funny to be a clueless American in Paris if you don't take anything too personally.

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment