Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ma Nouvelle Famille

Bonjour!

As I write this, I am sitting in my new room in my new house above an adorable courtyard where Olivia (?...je ne comprende pas wtf my family calls her) the adorable and super-smart German Shepard lives. My floor-to-ceiling window over looks the courtyard and my bed is accessed by way of a ladder up to a little nook where there is a small bureau and my soft little French bed! There is a desk, a bookshelf, a metal rack upon which to hang my clothes, and a little set of shelves for my other things.

My brothers Victor, Julien, and Mathieu, along with Mathieu's girlfriend Anise and Mme. Stefani and I all took Olivia on a walk through the neighborhood park after an amazing lunch of mustard-roasted beef, spicy tomato salad, pommes frites, and broccoli with some wonderful Bordeaux biologique (organic) wine. During lunch, everyone talked a lot and quickly to one another and Joel, my host father, would translate the funny parts for me. They're very good about making sure I can understand them when they're talking to me. After lunch, Joel, Julien, Mary-Ellizabeth and I sat and smoked together over some coffee and a glass of cidre, which is exactly what it sounds like.

My host brothers are all gorgeous and very different-looking. Mathieu speaks English pretty well and is very dedicated to speaking French to me. Once the parents had gone inside, he pulled down the front of his pants to reveal a cool tattoo and asked me a question about it. I started laughing my ass off and said "Oui, quelquefois" and he and Julien joined me laughing and said that I've come to the right family!

ALORS, on our walk through the park we met up with a bunch of young Parisians and sat around in a little circle chatting and sharing. People here don't care at all and everyone smokes in the park just walking around with their dogs and friends. Everyone I met kissed me on both cheeks in a way which we Americans would call tres French. Mathieu's girlfriend likes to practice her English translating things to me and asking about slang words.

In sum: they're hilarious, patient, friendly, and Mr. Stefani is an excellent cook! My little brother is now outside playing basketball. I'll take some photos and post them soon.

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment