Friday, December 18, 2009

Holland pt. Deux

Pretty much every single bar or cafe or "coffeeshop" here in Amsterdam has posted that no tobacco smoking is allowed by ordinance of the Europe-wide smoking ban beginning 1 July 2008. Then you wander off to the W.C. and notice an entire other room, either upstairs past a tiny ice cold black metal spiral staircase or perhaps down the tiny corridor to the sinks. This room will be full of chairs or couches and loud loud funky music, probably American hip hop or pop or minimalist electronica, and people will be sitting around smoking and watching crazy art videos or animated screensavers (of underwater scenes, matching the huge mural of mermaids and lionfish spraypainted over all four walls). This particular "coffeeshop" is called The Dolphins, so it's only appropriate. They have Wi-Fi, which is a plus for me since my hostel's WiFi doesn't work on my computer for whatever reason. It is necessary that I email my first and final CouchSurfing host, who I am to meet tomorrow. Her name is Maaike and she's very adorable and will hopefully like be there and answer her phone and not be insane.

I just went to go have a piercer change my septum ring and I asked him my standard questions: "Are you Dutch?" if yes, "Man I'd like to learn your language." If no, they proceeded to tell me why they moved here (world too corporate, bored at work, fascism, etc.) and I tell them that I don't blame them. The piercer practically spit when I mentioned France: "why don't they just fucking learn English like everybody else stuck-up bastards." I flinched only a little, mainly laughed since coming to Holland really proves that the French are really rude to every other European country by refusing to speak any language other than French to anyone. When they travel they speak French. How obnoxious is that.

On the other hand, I got stopped on the street today by this Dutch couple and they asked to take my picture for their fashion on the street assignment. !!! OK !!! I was wearing this new hat that I got at the flea market this morning. I will post a photo of it very soon.

I've been walking around all day feeling very positive and LOVING Amsterdam. It's FREEZING and everyone is SO FRIENDLY and cute and chill. I've decided it's a bit like Wilmington if it didn't have such a scene, plus Weaver Street and an independent movie theatre. Blend well, add winter. Voila! Amsterdam. People are friendly like in the South and open-minded like, well, the Dutch. They don't give a damn what you do, in fact they don't even have curtains in their huge Dutch windows in the apartments lining the canals. Because if you're doing something weird, everyone else is probably doing something else weird.

I just got myself really distracted by only being registered for 6 hours next semester until I realized that it doesn't matter at all since I'm going on the first days of the classes so duh. I hate week #1 and week #done the most out of every week of school since everyone is like ridiculously stressed and irritating. Luckily I still have 3 weeks before I have to go back to school. I still need a job, if anyone knows of anything I might like.

I'm almost done reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and am going to start a book of poems next, I think. Amsterdam is very cold and I walk everywhere, which is nice. I can't believe I'm going home on Tuesday and it's Friday what on Earth is happening? Christmas is in a week. Everyone is going to have to forgive me, I have run out of space in my suitcase to get more souvenirs for gifts, etc. I believe a dinner will have to be in order.

Anyway I'm about to read the news and make dinner. Maybe a sandwich of some kind...or soup from the sports bar, hmm.

Bisous.

No comments:

Post a Comment