Monday, November 9, 2009

"J'ai coupe mon fringe"

Translation: I cut my bangs. Just another French phrase that doesn't and cannot be translated. It amuses me.

This weekend began with my headaches bothering me too much to feel like doing too much of anything and so I instead returned home Friday after class to watch Jennifer's Body (which was just as ridiculous as the girl from Copenhagen in my French class said) and stand around with my brothers talking shit. They hung out in my room with me for a while and I did Mathieu's girlfriend's makeup. She looked good with a little bit of blush. French girls have lots of brown tones in their skin and don't seem to need bronzer/blush of any kind, but just a tad looked quite fetching on her little cheek.

The four of us then walked through the neighborhood to the same house where I went with my French mom for that fashion show/party. This time, the theme was "Noches de los Muertos" and it was an art exposition with 18 different artists and we were served wine and proceeded to smoke cigarettes (the only other time I've gotten to smoke IN an art show was at the Soapbox back in Wilmington! Way to be European, y'all.) and walk around looking at the wide variety of skeletons and skulls and blood types of situations. I dug it. Being horrible at French makes those situations more personal though, and I sat at the long wooden table in the center of the room rolling cigarettes for Paco & Julien and looking at all of the awesome t-shirts with Dia de los Muertos skulls screenprinted all over them.

Jeez this blog post has taken me like 2 days gosh darn it. Saturday Abby & I went to Musee d"Orsay for some quality time with Van Gogh, Rodin, Art Nouveau, and James Ensor. The Ensor and A.N. expos were, respectively, wonderful and excellent, and I was really pleased to hear The Velvet Underground playing out of a speaker in the Art Nouveau exhibition (the section with album covers on display as examples of "psychedelic art"). The Ensor exhibit, while less elaborate than the one at MoMA, was nonetheless gorgeous and his egoism and subtle European hilarity captured in French quotations around the walls. It was wonderful to get to check out his masks and skeletons again, even though Musee d'Orsay neglected to display my favorite piece "Two Skeletons Trying to Warm Themselves." Drat!

After that, we scurried over to Chatelet to get some piercings (my septum, Abby's eyebrow) and then for some post-trauma beers before the football match in Parc des Princes at 19h00. Met up with Val and Ariana and grabbed our spots in the cheap seats with a bunch of mangy French men who tried to explain to us what to yell at the referees. Found out that stadiums sell NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER which is such a travesty and spent over an hour wondering how the game went by so fast??!! Paris-St. Germain lost 1-0 to Nice, sadly, so there was less partying than otherwise and Abby and I retreated back to Rive Gauche for some Rue St. Jacques exploring for that elusive Mexican place. Didn't find it, got pizza instead and took the metro home. Did nothing yesterday except cook a little.

The "greve," or metro workers' strike today seriously dampened my Monday, making me walk unpleasantly and unexpectedly far and have to take the (shudder) line Nine home, pressed against smelly people like it was the mass transit freak-out that will happen at the apocalypse. Bought some food to cook, had dinner with my family (Croque Monsieurs and green lettuce... it's a regular thing), watched "Mad Men," which has gotten seriously crazy, watched the news, "Deep Impact," and some tennis with my host dad and brothers, looked at photos of their trip to Morocco, and am now doing research for my last Cinema paper which will be on gay French cinema since the 1980s while cleaning my new nose ring.

Tomorrow, rien. Wednesday, 2012 and a bit of debauchery with the girls, then maybe Mexican? WHATCHY'ALLTHINK except only Sally reads this fuck you Abby for being so lazy and reading "books" instead of my "blog."

On Thursday night though, I made butter and pepper-poached salmon and a parmesan asparagus risotto for Sally, Abby, and Sally's adorable mother. A true girl's night in, we drank wine and talked about girlie things and lauded the awesome apartment right next to Place St. Michel that we want to share! H. Walker if you're reading this the apartment was like what I want to share with you in New York: tiny, big windows, ample counter space. Perfect!

I think I'll continue to talk to Drew on Skype, read "The Sportswriter," and fall asleep to "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment